Medical Assistants at the Heart of Health Care – Medical Assistants Recognition Week
Oct 3rd, 2016 - Medical Assistants are the health care professionals that serve as liaisons between doctors and patients. They are at the heart of health care, and the frontlines of patient care, often acting as advocates for patients, while performing administrative and clinical procedures. With their unique versatility, medical assistants are proving to be the allied health professional of choice for this decade and beyond. In fact, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, medical assisting continues to be projected as one of the fastest growing occupations.
The third full week in October is designated as Medical Assistants Recognition Week (MARWeek) by the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA). This year, MARWeek will be celebrated from October 17th – 21st with Medical Assistants Recognition Day falling on Wednesday, October 19th.
This year, show your support for your medical assistants, and convey your gratitude for all of their hard work with the following recognition ideas from the AAMA:
- A letter of thanks detailing their achievements and contributions to the organization. Maintain a copy for personnel records.
- Offer to display the Medical Assistants Recognition Week poster in a prominent place in your office.
- Dedicate the October issue of your own office newsletter to your medical assisting staff, recognizing exceptional efforts and overall contributions.
- Hold a special medical assisting training seminar on company time.
- Monetary bonus or salary increase.
- Have a special event with all office staff to recognize the efforts of the medical assisting team. Have handouts available from the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) and invite an AAMA representative from the local chapter or state society to speak.
- Day off with pay to use when needed.
- Plaque that conveys office recognition and gratitude for yearlong contributions
- Gift certificate to a uniform store to assist in maintaining a professional image.
- Every day of the year, treat medical assistants and CMAs (AAMA) like part of the office team. Solicit input before decisions are made. Give recognition when it is due, and offer praise where it is warranted.
Medical assistants are constantly on the move, and always on their feet! You can convey your gratitude to them with any of the options above, all of which pair well with a hot meal to nurture your staff. Corporate Caterers’ Fiesta Taco Bar is a fun, custom, and delicious way to show them how much you appreciate them by not only feeding them, but giving them a much needed respite from their daily tasks, and a chance to get off their feet, if only for even just a few minutes!
Source: The American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA)