5 Reasons to Celebrate Nurses during National Nurses Week – May 6th-12th
Mar 21st, 2017 - National Nurses Week is celebrated from May 6th to 12th, 2017. This year, the American Nurses Association has declared the theme to be “Nursing: The Balance of Mind, Body, and Spirit” to reinforce the importance of the nursing profession, and its professionals, in the medical field.
This April, fête your favorite nursing professionals for all of their important contributions to the medical field, including:
- Whereas doctors often have a dry bedside manner, out of necessity, nurses act as caregivers for their patients. Depending on a patient’s needs, a nursing professional cares for and meets their emotional needs.
- Nurses often act as teachers. Not only do nursing professionals act as teachers for up-and-comers in the profession, teaching them the ropes of nursing and patient care, but they also act as teachers to their clients, by teaching them proper healthcare, and how to manage and care for their conditions.
- Nurses are patient advocates. When a patient may not be able to speak on their own behalf, nurses are there to be their voice, and keep their best interests in mind.
- Nurses work together with a patient’s entire medical team to put together a plan of action for them, and oftentimes, are the people effectuating and following up on these treatment plans.
- Nurses devote a large amount of time –often in twelve hour rotations– to their patients. They perform grueling, messy, and exhausting work, all to ensure their patients’ receive the best care possible.